The Ocean View - Vision to Action

 





Some moments stick with you, completely reshaping how you view your home. Years ago, during a lunch break in the staff room at the College, a coworker from Random Island said something that sparked a total epiphany for me: "I could never live somewhere where I could not see the ocean."

Having grown up in inland Buchans, I had never found the ocean central to my sense of place. But the sheer passion in her voice woke me up to what is right in front of us in Clarenville—something that I, and apparently too many of us, take for granted.

The universe decided to drive that lesson home a few years later. In 2012, I was touring a TSN scouting crew to find the perfect location for a live broadcast from Clarenville. Naturally, I took them to the Clarenville Events Centre parking lot—practical, spacious, and logical.

The producers didn't hesitate with their rejection: "No. We must be on the coastline."

We have about 8 kilometres of some of the best, most sheltered coastline in the province right here in Clarenville. Our forefathers used every bit of it as they settled between the upper and lower Shoal Harbour River estuaries. Along that coast, we have several noteworthy beaches, including Stanley’s Beach, Shoal Harbour Beach, and Red Beach. Yet, why is it we rarely see people on them? We also have Lower Shoal Harbour, the Clarenville Marina in Dark Hole, and the Shoreline Park near the Shipyard.

The Shoreline Park project, which we planned during my term on Council, is a small but tangible initiative to recover the value of our waterfront. Looking at it from above, you see a beautifully manicured green space, carved out right against the rocky shoreline, complete with picnic tables, benches, historical display panels (https://www.paultilley.ca/our.../waterfront-history-panel), a replica dory, and a soon-to-be-built gazebo. It’s a space designed for pause.

I notice that visitors are down there daily. In fact, just this morning, I watched a lady doing yoga on the newly installed concrete pathway, finding her footing right at the water's edge.

We live next to a beautiful piece of oceanfront. If we all could experience the epiphany I was shown years ago, we would work together to ensure this entire area gets the dignity, development, and appreciation it truly deserves



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Into the Deep: Is a New Pool a Pipe Dream or a Priority for Clarenville?

The Call to Action: Why Clarenville Cannot Wait for "First Oil"

Bay du Nord: A Generational Opportunity for Clarenville